OK, before we start with any troubleshooting, I want you to promise me that you will please obey the cardinal rule of "Garbage Disposal Repair". That is you will never put your hand in the hopper (down the drain into the disposal)!
That being said, let's take a look at fixing this vital piece of kitchen equipment.
Disposal Will Not Turn On (no noise)
If the disposal will not turn on and it is NOT making a humming sound, then there is an electrical problem.
- This may seem obvious, but make sure the disposal is plugged in.
- If it is plugged in then press the Reset button found on the bottom of the unit. If it has reset, the button will be popped out.
- If that does not work, check to see if the circuit breaker has tripped and turned off in the electrical service panel.
- If the breaker has not tripped and the reset button is not popped out, then it's either a faulty switch or a faulty garbage disposal. First locate the switch that powers the disposal unit. It should be located on the wall but may be under the sink.
- Turn off the circuit breaker at the service panel which powers the disposal.
- Replace the switch.
- Turn power back on at the service panel and check the disposal for operation.
- If the disposal will still not turn on and makes no noise, the garbage disposal is beyond repair and needs to be replaced.